Sunday, April 6, 2008

The Ruins



(8.5/10)
Ahhh. Okay well I'm surprised I even went and saw this but whats weird is that usually I can always tell if a movie won't get screened to critics. But this one looked good and more professional- yet it didn't have early screenings which usually is bad news. I've got to the point that with atleast just this genre (horror) ...you have to see them for yourself and that is just what I did here and I am glad.

Five friends on vacation in Cancun decide to switch up their lazy beach days and suddenly end up on a tourist trap of sorts on a haunted mayan temple of ruins. Havoc ensues when the village people of the area will not let them leave since once you've touched the temple- you are cursed. Sounds confusing, kinda is, but as always- need to suspend some disbelief. I will say that overall acting was not its best but everyone had shining moments here and there- the consistent talent, and rightfully so, with the most detailed resume under her belt was Jena Malone (Into the Wild, Saved!).

This movie is not for the weak-stomached! I consider mine strong but even I was getting sick, woo- it's just not pleasant with barely any comic relief. It's just a different and unique story- no supernatural, no serial killers-- just human nature and mother nature gone apeshit. Apparently, fans of the book are disappointed in the authors decision for so many drastic changes but he claimed "I thought the readers could have a surprise when they watch the movie."- Basically, I agree...more often than not- fans of books ALWAYS complain and books are ALWAYS better. Who knows...anyway- the movie rushes to a conclusion that will leave you breathless- literally! I was breathing heavy and so scared- because this movie is so unpredictable- not until the final second do you know how it will end. I've never felt so unsafe but I was very satisfied.

I fear this will fall off the radar soon but...give it a shot- it will creep you out big time.

No comments: